Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Teacher








I just finished my first week as a college professor, yes that is correct, Bill Nye is in full effect. So far I have called a compound bisexual, told the class I'd been drinking, allowed world cup updates to be posted during class, and dropped the eraser too many times to count...... so needless to say, its a circus.......This whole class is the dipping my toe into the proverbial pool that is college level teaching. And it has lead to me putting a lot of pressure on this one experience, as if this is going to decide the rest of my life. At the slightest resistance, I get cold feet and write off teaching as a stupid idea, and then I jump back on board. The hardest part so far has been the role reversal of going from student to teacher. I used to show up to a class, text, draw goofy drawings in my notes and not participate, and now, my students do the same thing to me. Don't they know that I'm trying to help them! Don't they know that this stuff is interesting! I guess I can't really talk when I did the same thing.