Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup

The world cup starts tomorrow, which is lovely on so many levels..... The USA will hopefully advance past the first round and allow me to get very patriotic and xenophobic at the same time. It's also the first world cup to ever be hosted on the African continent which is HUGE. It's a great opportunity for South Africa to show case it's culture, show that its economically viable, relavent, and a non-third world country.......As w/ all great opportunities a lot of pressure is involved, and South Africa HAS to appear like they have it together. As a result THIS is happening...It's the same thing that happened in Denver when the Democratic National Convention showed up, all of a sudden the homeless disappeared for a while....Why as people do we feel like we have to do this? I know I'm guilty of it all the time. I have to appear that I have everything together, I sweep the ugliness under the rug so nobody knows. Are a few scars and homeless people really that bad?