Monday, August 10, 2009

The Midnight Hike

A few friends and I decided to tackle a 14er this past saturday and to spice things up a bit we decided that we would start at 1 in the morning and watch the sunrise from the top of one of the peaks. It seemed like a good enough idea. The moon was so bright that we didn't need a headlight, and you could see your breathe, but it wasn't too too cold yet. We flew up the top of Grays (the left peak) by about 4:30 and realized that we had to climb Torrey's (on the right) or else we'd freeze. We made it to the top at about 5:20 am and waited for the sunset. We were 14,267 feet and had just spent the last four hours punishing our bodies to the top.... and here's what I thought.
1. It gets incredibly cold really fast when you stop moving.
2. Why am I doing this?? Why??
3. Holy crap, this must be how God sees.

We were above the clouds, we were literally looking down on the clouds, and it made me feel so small, but in such a good way. A I'm taken care of way. We stopped and froze and gazed, and then headed back to the car. I was a wreck for the rest of the day, completely worthless. But it was still so good. Why did I do this? Because pushing yourself feels so good.