Saturday, June 13, 2009

Ken Griffey Jr.

When I was six years old my brother got this Griffey Jr. Upper Deck rookie card in a pack of cards by Toys R' Us.

And I was hooked ever since. I became a Mariners fan, I started wearing my baseball pants long and my hats backwards, I wanted to bat like him, I wanted to be left handed like he was. I had posters, I played his video game, I even tried to get my ear pierced. He was my baseball idol and I've followed him for the last 19 years. Through the good times in Seattle and the not so good times in Cincinatti. And so last night, I took the 60 mile trek down to Denver with the hopes of finally seeing the man play in person. The Rockies are in the NL, and Griffey is now 39 years old and pretty much only DH's so things weren't looking too good. He wasn't in the starting line up, which was a little frustrating. But then, as luck, or God would have it, The Mariners were down 6-4 in the top of the ninth with the 7 8 9 hitters set to bat. Perfect! Could it be! A Griffey pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th to finish the game! I saw him get in the hole for the inning, and it was incredible. On Deck he still had it, still had that same swagger, that still perfect swing. And I got to see him bat for the first and probably only time in my life.



He worked the count and got walked. It was absolutely incredible! And so great to finally see him play before it became too late. Griffey Rules!!!!